Project Management in 4 Dimensions


Once we have launched a project it's fairly easy to lose track, or even let things slip.
Having formed the team, made a plan, agreed the budget, set the objectives and accessed the resources we may assume that everything will go relatively according to plan.

However, I'm certain we all know that's not always the case, as anyone who remembers the Apollo 13 moon mission, Coca-Cola's Dasani water, London's Millennium Dome and the Channel Tunnel will testify.

Lack of focus and direction can destabilise a project quicker than boiling water under an ice sculpture. People can change roles, leave a department or even leave the company half way through a longer project.

Here's a quick 4 D checklist to help ensure your project is on track.

Physically:

Am I seeing all the behaviours necessary to make the project a success?
If not, what do people need to be doing?
How do I know people, teams, systems and processes are working in sync?
What must I actually 'do' today?
What specific behaviours do I need to do today to bring me closer to my objectives?
Who do I need to meet 'face to face' with rather than firing off an email or calling on the phone?

Emotional:

Am I still emotionally invested in the project?
How do I feel about it?
How should I feel about it?
Is there a gap? If so, what needs to happen now?
Is everyone still engaged and bought into the project?
If so, how do I know they are?
If not...Who do I need to re-connect with in terms of energising the drives and motivations of people and or teams?

Intellectually :

How do I know I have enough experienced people on the team? 97% of successful projects are led by experienced project managers.
Am I waiting for information or knowledge that may be holding me up?
Who do I need to talk to about information and knowledge today?
How do I know everyone has the information and knowledge they need to make the required decisions?
How do I know the organisational measurements I'm/we're using to monitor progress are still valid?
How do I know we enforcing them effectively?

Intentional:

Am I still clear about 'why' I am involved in this project and what it means to me?
Am I still clear about my role in this project?
How do I know everyone is clear about the value they are bringing?
How do I know everyone still has a shared commitment to make this project work?
Do we still have executive support? Research has suggested that lack of executive support is the main cause of project failure.
How do I know?

Great project management is all about rigorous planning, realistic expectations and scheduling, and most of all, frequent communication to facilitate continuous learning and improvement. Adapting and responding as and when conditions require.

Taking a 4D perspective now and then can help to keep things on track.

No comments:

Post a Comment